The Glen Garioch distillery is located at Oldmeldrum in the valley of Garioch, scottish Highlands. People called it “The Granary of Aberdeenshire” because the finest barley in all of Scotland grows here. John and Alexander Manson started burning whisky in 1797. So Glen Garioch is one of Scotlands oldest operating distilleries.
Glen Gariochs history was quite turbulent: In the beginning the distillery incorporated with a brewery and tannery. After many changes in ownership and closures in 1968 the production suspended on account of chronic water shortage. Luckily the “Silent Spring” was discovered at the neighbour´s property. In 1970 the distillery changed into the possession of Morrision Bowmore but took over by Japanes Santory in 1994. The distillery was closed in 1995 and should be sold. But it re-opened 1997 and produces around 750.000 litres of that lovely, floral and smooth whisky.